Matching Supply with Demand: An Introduction to Operations Management Author: Christian Terwiesch | Language: English | ISBN:
0073525200 | Format: PDF
Matching Supply with Demand: An Introduction to Operations Management Description
Gerard Cachon and Christian Terwiesch, Matching Supply with Demand: An Introduction to Operations Management, 3e is the most authoritative, cutting-edge book for operations management MBAs. The book demands rigorous analysis on the part of students without requiring consistent use of sophisticated mathematical modeling to perform it. When the use of quantitative tools or formal modeling is indicated, it is only to perform the necessary analysis needed to inform and support a practical business solution.
The guiding principle in the development of Matching Supply with Demand has been “real operations, real solutions.” “Real operations” means that most of the chapters in this book are written from the perspective of a specific company so that the material in this text will come to life by discussing it in a real-world context. “Real solutions” means that equations and models do not merely provide students with mathematical gymnastics for the sake of an intellectual exercise.
- Hardcover: 528 pages
- Publisher: McGraw-Hill/Irwin; 3 edition (February 24, 2012)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0073525200
- ISBN-13: 978-0073525204
- Product Dimensions: 10 x 8 x 1 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.5 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
At first I was sceptical when I saw that the book had only 500 pages but by the time I was halfway through it I realised that the authors had applied applied their expertise to this opus. This book will suit a first course in operations management, the text is as lean as it can get, the mathematical treatment is kept to its minimum and the text concentrates on the key concepts. The book has an agreeable layout with loads of white space and the book is full of examples and case studies. Each chapter features:
* a few summary exhibits presenting in a concise way the concept treated
* suggestions for further reading
* a dozen of practice problems and among them, at least one has a fully worked solution at the back of the book and at least one has a fully worked solution available on Youtube ( accessible from companion website [...])
I quite enjoyed reading the book but more importantly I believe I am now better equipped to carry out process and operations analysis and I owe this to this book. In my opinion this book lacks a single feature and that is a nomenclature with all symbols (it is minor anyway).
This is the brief table of contents:
1. Introduction
2. The Process View of the Organization
3. Understanding the Supply Process: Evaluating Process Capacity
4. Estimating and Reducing Labor Costs
5. Project Management
6. The Link between Operations and Finance
7. Batching and Other Flow Interruptions: Setup Times and the Economic Order Quantity Model
8. Variability and Its Impact on Process Performance: Waiting Time Problems
9. The Impact of Variability on Process Performance: Throughput Losses
10. Quality Management, Statistical Process Control, and Six-Sigma Capability
11.
Matching Supply with Demand: An Introduction to Operations Management Preview
Link
Please Wait...