Sight Word Readers Parent Pack: Learning the First 50 Sight Words Is a Snap! Author: Scholastic | Language: English | ISBN:
0545067650 | Format: PDF
Sight Word Readers Parent Pack: Learning the First 50 Sight Words Is a Snap! Description
- Age Range: 4 - 6 years
- Series: Sight Word Readers
- Paperback
- Publisher: Scholastic Teaching Resources (Teaching (June 1, 2003)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0545067650
- ISBN-13: 978-0545067652
- Product Dimensions: 5.8 x 5.8 x 2.5 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.2 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
I am homeschooling my son for Kindergarten this year and so far, none of the RAN boards,"Read in 100 lessons" books, Sight Word Flashcards, or even a Sight Word tablet app (that got great reviews from others) worked. My son would get bored after a couple of tries and not even an hour later would forget the words we went through.
Out of desperation and frustration, I went through Amazon trying to find a system that would actually work for him. Somehow I stumbled upon this product and started reading the reviews and descriptions of this system. The price looked reasonable (if it doesn't work then at least I didn't lose too much money) and the system itself seemed to make sense (story with sight words repeated throughout and a short quiz at the end).
2 days after ordering we got it in the mail and I immediately dove into it. Having read the parents workbook, I called my son over to see what the first two sight words (they, go) would do for him. We sat down like we do for our daily reading time and I first read the book outloud while pointing to the words. The book was entertaining enough for him to enjoy the illustrations and short enough that it didn't make him lose focus. After the first time he wanted me to read again so I did. The third time in a row, I asked him to try to read along with me. The fourth time, he was able remember the sight words on each page and even passed the "quiz" on the inside back cover. He was so proud of himself he wanted to do it again, including the quiz. Just to ensure he wasn't just memorizing a pattern, I would point to the words in different order when doing the quiz.
By this time he was so happy he wanted to "read to grandma" so we called my mom and as I pointed to the sight words on each page, he would read them.
Anyone else notice that the (Search inside this book) isn't even for this set of books? It shows the box, but then it shows the content of what appears to be the inside of a reproducible version of these books.
These books really are a joke for the price. I will be returning them. First of all, they are tiny and bore my kids to death. The so called workbook is a just as tiny as the books so forget about using them for more than one child unless you are very talented at blowing them up on a copier. These might work for a 3 year old, but my 2 four year olds and five year old are completely uninterested. The age range listed is 4-8 year olds and I just don't see it unless they are having trouble. We home school and they are far beyond having the same thing repeated over and over without any story line. They want real stories and these just aren't it. They read through all books in less than an hour without my help and have no desire to read them again. I agree that children need repetition, but they also need to be challenged.
Here is an example;
THAT HAT, 8 pages. Page 1- That hat. Page 2- My pretty hat. Pages 3 through 7- That is my pretty hat. Page 8- That is your pretty hat. That and Pretty are the focus sight words.
This is more of a picture book than anything and we have gotten the Sight Word Tales: 25 Read-Aloud Storybooks That Target & Teach the Top 100 Sight Words series instead. They contain real stories that the kids enjoy and they can write in and color the reproducibles, which is much more effective in helping recognition anyway.
Sight Word Readers Parent Pack: Learning the First 50 Sight Words Is a Snap! Preview
Link
Please Wait...