Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft Author: Raymond Buckland | Language: English | ISBN:
B002Z6YU6M | Format: EPUB
Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft Description
Here is the most complete self-study course in modern Wicca available, written by the person who first went public with "The Old Religion" in the United States. For group or solitary use, it includes rituals; exercises for developing psychic talents; information on all major "sects" of the Craft; sections on tools, beliefs, dreams, meditations, divination, herbal lore, healing, ritual clothing; and much, much more.
Even those who have practiced Wicca for years find useful information in
Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft, and many covens are using it as their textbook. Profusely illustrated and full of music and chants.
- File Size: 6403 KB
- Print Length: 251 pages
- Publisher: Llewellyn Publications; 2 edition (September 1, 2002)
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services, Inc.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B002Z6YU6M
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
X-Ray:
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #26,530 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
- #9
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Religion & Spirituality > Occult > Magic - #11
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > Comparative Religion - #15
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Religion & Spirituality > Other Practices > Wicca & Witchcraft
- #9
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Religion & Spirituality > Occult > Magic - #11
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > Comparative Religion - #15
in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Religion & Spirituality > Other Practices > Wicca & Witchcraft
When I teach beginning students, I give them three books: this one, Cunningham's Guide for the Solitary Practitioner, and the Farrar's Witches' Bible. I have seen a lot of reviewers saying they recommend using Buckland's book together with Cunningham's and I think this is excellent advice...the lessons are very good and quite thorough. I know of no other book that covers so many aspects of witchcraft. True, he covers so much ground there's not much room for depth, but it's a good starting-off place. He presents all the technical info: tools and divination and herbs and altar furniture and history and circle construction and dreams and meditation -- whew! Cunningham is a good balance for the more spiritual aspects. I think this is a good book to read through once or twice, using it as a starting point for further study. I think you'll also want to keep it on your shelf as a handy reference.
As with any book, remember to think for yourself and you'll get a lot out of it...
One last note -- the book covers so many different subjects, so many MECHANICS, that I sometimes forget how beautiful his Sabbat rituals are. He has included an entire book of shadows here, including seasonal rites, esbats, even a New Moon Rite. They are well-written and very poetic; for these alone I would recommend the book.
By Kashmir White
Although Ray Buckland's book lacks a lot of information on the spiritual side of Wicca it is a great reference book. Although very Gardnerian and coven based, the rituals can be easily adapted to fit the solitary practitioner who is of a different tradition.
I wouldn't recommend this book for those just starting, but for those that are more familiar with the basics and have had some prior exposure to Witchcraft. I suggest starting out with Scott Cunningham's "Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner." If interested in Alexandrian or Gardnerian Wicca, then move on to Silver Ravenwolf, this book, and then try the books by the Farrars.
One downside to the book was the quizzes. The quizzes were a bit knit-picky, but they at least helped get some of the information across to the reader.
As others have mentioned, Buckland does quote himself quite often, but usually these quotes are in the margin and if they don't reenforce and idea, they at least make for a good laugh.
I will give Buckland a lot of credit for not "dumbing-down" the material for the average 13 year old as some writers have. Wiccan books don't always have to be written for the teenager and I'm glad Buckland maintained a writing proficiency level that agrees with most adults.
Although not a "complete" book, it is a good starting point for many subjects like talismans, tarot, astrology, and herbalism.
Overall, a great book. I recommend it to any student of Wicca, particularly ones interested in Gardnerian and like traditions.
By Matt
Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft Preview
Link
Please Wait...