Sink Reflections Author: Visit Amazon's Marla Cilley Page | Language: English | ISBN:
0553382179 | Format: EPUB
Sink Reflections Description
From Publishers Weekly
In her debut book, Cilley, a.k.a. "The FlyLady" to the thousands who log onto her FlyLady.net Web site, reaches into the everywoman's home to help make her housecleaning more fun and her life more organized. Beginning with "Shiny Sink 101," Cilley explains how a spotless kitchen sink can direct even the most discouraged housekeeper onto the path of well-ordered domesticity. Through several straightforward routines, including the 27 Fling Boogie (the cut-throat practice of quick junk disposal), the Five-Minute Room Rescue ("another step on the road to clutter recovery") and the Hot Spot Fire Drill (for an area that, like a forest fire, takes over your home), Cilley advises her "FlyBabies" on how to overcome clutter and CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome). Filled with testimonials from online followers, the book aims to help readers establish manageable daily and weekly habits by incorporating spirituality and family into the program. Detailed and direct, this is a guidebook for the stay-at-home or working woman who wants to have it all, including her sanity.
Copyright 2002 Reed Business Information, Inc.
Review
“Take off with FlyLady! Her down-to-earth writing will help anyone who desires to be lifted free from the chaos and confusion disorder causes.” —Pam Young and Peggy Jones, coauthors
, Sidetracked Home Executives: From Pigpen to Paradise
“FlyLady is the fairy godmother who turned my dungeon into a castle, my Royal Pain into Prince Charming, and my grief into grins. And it all started with shining my sink!” —Melanie Wilson, Ph.D., media psychologist, author, speaker
“Chatty and personal.” —
Chicago Tribune
“Easy to read and chock-full of helpful ideas for the disorganized.”
—Dear Abby syndicated column
"Cilley's humor and good advice will have even the busiest people waking up to a cleaner house in no time."—
Sacramento Bee See all Editorial Reviews
- Paperback: 256 pages
- Publisher: Bantam; Reissue edition (October 1, 2002)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0553382179
- ISBN-13: 978-0553382174
- Product Dimensions: 8.9 x 5.9 x 0.6 inches
- Shipping Weight: 15.2 ounces (View shipping rates and policies)
The writer of this book, Marla Cilley, goes by another name: Flylady. I own this book and have read it. But there is another way to experience Flylady if you have a computer. You can receive all the wisdom contained in the book by joining her e-mail coaching list. I joined her list over a year ago and it has completely changed my life. Bit by bit, I read and absorbed her wisdom and have been transforming my life and my home.
Because the Flylady had made such an impact on my life, I bought her book immediately after it was published. As I read it, not much was unfamiliar to me because I had been a member of her e-mail group, and yet having it all in one place was very valuable to me. Despite having received a lot of information contained in the book through the e-mail group, I still wanted to own the book and use it frequently.
This book will especially be helpful to people who have a real problem figuring out how to keep and organize their home. Probably every person will find something to benefit them from the wisdom contained within, however, people who really struggle with issues of getting their act together will be especially helped.
I was at my absolute wits end. I have an extensive collection of self-help books on organization and overcoming clutter. Each and every book has been interesting and hope-inspiring, and has presented helpful techniques and approaches. Yet to my great despair,I was never able to find a way to make it all work for me. At one point I decided, maybe I need outside help and hired a very expensive (and famous)organizing professional to help me. I paid several thousand dollars for an organizing plan, and hired these organizers at $75.00 an hour to try to help me overcome my disorganization problem.
I was convinced that I needed to buy a new (bigger) house, but once I realized I was living in CHAOS (and that somebody knew what that was and had been there too) and that before I rushed right out to buy that new place I had some decluttering to do -- I got right to it. 15 minutes at a time over only about a month (long enough to establish a habit) I discovered that my house was plenty big enough -- I just needed to stop housing all that clutter and instead decide that the rooms needed only to hold essentials -- and that the only true essentials were my family and me.
Now, the effects of the book are reaching into every area of my life -- my Christmas present selection (I don't want to give something that will just be clutter in the hands of the recipient), my purse, my budget, my exercise, my diet, my LIFE.
It is absolutely amazing. Yes, there is a certain amount of "religious" content. I just substitute the word epiphany for God Breeze -- and keep on reading.
The website (and the daily flow of emails and testimonials) are amazingly wonderful. The best part of the book and of the system is -- we clutter-maniacs are not alone and just knowing that someone else has suffered the pain of being so messy that you are afraid to have anyone see your house is comforting -- and inspires us FlyBabies to get moving for the next 15 minutes to make one little spot just that much better.
Also, I would like to reply to the "irreducible chore and it MUST take a certain amount of time" comment: If when I get up in the morning and in using the bathroom sink while brushing my teeth just happen spend time wiping the sink and counter (time I would be standing there anyway) -- is that time spent cleaning or time spent brushing my teeth?
Sink Reflections Preview
Link
Please Wait...